Skip to main content

Audiobook Review: Red Queen

 
Title: Red Queen
Series: Red Queen #1
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Narrator: Amanda Dolan
Overall Goodreads Rating: 4.10
Length of Audiobook:  12 hrs and 40 mins
Published: February 10th 2015 by Orion
My Rating: 4.5/5 Stars  
 
 


IN A NUTSHELL
First do you see what I did here? Red and Silver...get it? Anyway this book was a fantastic listen. I really enjoyed the original twist on how characters are ranked in this fantasy world. The characters are ranked on what color they bleed. If you bleed silver you are ranked like royalty and live comfortable. You also get epic powers such as controlling fire, being able to read peoples minds, controlling metal awesome things like that. If you bleed red well than you are SOL and end up having a crappy job or going off to war. In this book we learn that not everything is as black and white....or red and silver as they thought. This book was fast paced and had so much twist that I didn't see coming at all! I can normally tell when something big is going to happen, but I was blindsided in this book and I loved it! The narrator was great! Dolan did a great job with playing out the emotions of the characters I truly felt like I was listening to them. She did a great job with transitioning her voice and kept my attention the entire time. I HIGHLY recommend this audiobook, and if you are not into audiobooks get the regular book because I am telling you this book is great! The only down fall I had was the ending felt rushed and choppy, and that is why I couldn't give it 5 stars.
 
The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?
 

Wow this book was totally worth the wait! I know that ALOT of bloggers were dying to get their hands on this one. Any time there is a lot of hype I get nervous, but this one didn't let me down. I loved the world that was built, and even though we didn't get to see as much as the world I was hoping, I have come to learn that happens a lot in YA fantasy. I felt like this book truly slapped me in this face at times with all the twists I didn't see coming. I would be thinking everything was just trucking along and then BAM something crazy would happen and I loved it! I think that was what I loved the most about this book. It was unlike any other YA book I have ever read in the way I couldn't grasp what was going to happen next. I was really intrigued by the political and magical aspects of this book. Anytime politics are brought in there is drama and excitement to read about. It was crazy to see what sides people choice and it really showed the true colors of our characters.The magic that the silver bloods could do was fantastic and I have to say that if I had to pick what I could control I may pick metal. What would you pick? There are so many fun and unique magical/control aspects I loved it!
 There were sadly some downfalls to this book and the main problem I had was the ending. I felt like it was rushed and choppy. I felt like the end of the book just stopped. I understood that the end was suppose to be the cliffhanger, but after all the surprise the ended fell dual for me. The romance was not my favorite. There was no steady burn and at times it just felt pushed and forced which was very disappointing because it had the potential to be truly epic. Those were the main reasons I couldn't give this book 5 stars. The biggest problem being the ending.
Even with that being said I am beyond excited for the next book, and will be listening to it on audio for sure! I just loved Dolan as a narrator she did a fantastic job and I highly recommend listening to books that she has narrated.
So tell me, have you listened or read Red Queen yet? What were your thoughts? If you have not read it is it on your TBR? Let me know your thoughts =)
Happy reading!
Ashley 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: To All The Boys I Loved Before (Reread)

To All The Boys I've Loved Before  Series: To All The Boys I've Loved Before #1  Author: Jenny Han Published: April 15th, 2014 by Simon & Schuster  Pages: 355 My Rating:  ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ But now that I think about it, that seems to be all I’ve ever wanted. To be somebody’s and for them to be mine.   Even if she doesn't know the last one, Lara Jean is a hopeless romantic, shy, quirky, and strong-willed. When Lara Jean loves someone, she doesn’t tell them but writes them a love letter. It’s easier to play it safe, to let her feelings pour out onto paper. She holds nothing back; why should she? No one will ever see the letters. She stows them away in the safety of her beloved hatbox.     Lara Jean has written five love letters in her life. The letters range from the boy who stole her first kiss to her sister’s ex-boyfriend.   Lara Jean’s love letters are missing. They are no longer in the safety of her hatbox; they’ve been sent out.   Now Lara Jean is forced to face her bigges

Back to School: Percy Jackson Style

As any fangirl or fanboy wherever you go you want to show your love of books. Being lovers of books we are a unique kind. We crush over fictional characters, they become our best friends, when they hurt we hurt. Books are our escape, our passion, our fun, hobby, friend, books are our lives. Pride comes with being a book nerd and it's something you should embrace. These books we love sometimes take over. We love them so much we want to be a part of that world. I wanted to help find ways for you to always feel close to your favorite books and characters. This week I wanted to do Percy Jackson because I mean who doesn't like Percy Jackson?! These outfits are loosely inspired by some of the loved characters from The Percy Jackson series or the book covers. I stayed on pinterest for hours (shocker right?) to find outfits that have simple pieces that you can find in your closet or wouldn't be hard to find for a good price at stores. I also wanted to find outfits that could easil

Review: Becoming Alpha by Aileen Erin

Title: Becoming Alpha  Author: Aileen Erin  Genre: Paranormal Fantasy  Pages: 267 Goodreads Overall Rating: 4.11 Published:  December 17th, 2013 by Ink Monster, LLC   My Rating:  I can’t do that. I can’t turn my emotions off and on like that. I’m either all in or all out. And if you can’t do that—if I don’t come first, then for God’s sake, leave me alone. Becoming Alpha is the true definition of YA paranormal fantasy and I devoured it. Erin took troupes that are known in YA and ran with them in fun, plausible, and exciting ways while taking her own spin on them. I sped through this book and right after I downloaded the next book in the series because I couldn't wait for the two-day shipping of the physical book.  At the beginning of the book, we meet our main character Tessa and her family. Tessa has an unusual gift and it has marked her as the odd girl out at and causing her to feel isolated. With her family wanting to give her a sense o