Skip to main content

Review: The Siren by Kiera Cass




Series: Stand alone 
Author Kiera Cass
Overall Goodreads Rating: 3.91
Genre: Young Adult Romance Fantasy 
Pages: 336
Published: January 26th 2016 by HarperTeen
My overall Rating: 4/5 Stars

IN A NUTSHELL
This book was a pleasant surprise. The writing was beautiful and lyrical. I was reminded of The Little Mermaid in the best of ways. There was insta-love, but it was expected and tolerable. This book is all about love, but different types of love. Love between family, friends, and the sacrifices that are willing to be made for the ones you love. Basically you need to be on the beach with a nice drink in your hand while reading this book! 

Goodreads

"Kahlen is a Siren, bound to serve the Ocean by luring humans to watery graves with her voice, which is deadly to any human who hears it. Akinli is human—a kind, handsome boy who's everything Kahlen ever dreamed of. Falling in love puts them both in danger . . . but Kahlen can't bear to stay away. Will she risk everything to follow her heart?"

 I have been on the hunt for a good mermaid book for well basically ever. I have found a few but not enough. I ask everyone I know if they know of any great mermaid books, and I get the same two to three books I have already read. So when I saw this book I thought I would give it a try. It isn't truly a mermaid book but it is close enough for me! If you have read Caas' other series The Selection you know that her writing is more of the fun type of read. I love her books and I like to pick them up after a book hangover because I know they will be light and fluffy. This book however was deeper than her Selection series. I found myself marking certain quotes because they were so beautiful and lyrical. For example:“She would want me to forget all about him. But how could eyes not notice the light? How could lungs not acknowledge the air? There are just some things you can't ignore.”   and “There’s always room for love. Even if it’s as small as a crack in the door.”
I also liked how there was different types of love in this book and the problems that comes with it. In this book we see the sacrifices families make because of love. We see sisterly love that melted my heart and brought tears to my eyes. In this book Caas shows readers that love isn't black and white, it comes with sacrifices and darker sides of love. The magical system was beautiful and creative, and while this book made me think of the move The Little Mermaid, Caas made the story her own and I ate it up! While there was some insta love it was expected so that helped me not be annoyed. If you go in knowing I think it always helps. The love connection in this book is super sweet, and genuine. Our main character cannot speak and it makes the love story unique and beautiful.
I recommend this book, and if you like The Selection you are going to love this book. I honestly think this is the best writing I have seen from Caas. While it was still fun like her other series it was better written, the story flowed better, and there was not a annoying lead character that could not make up their mind for foolish reasons. While I know this story was written first, Caas went back and rewrote it, and this by far is her best work. I am excited to see more from Caas in the future. If you are on the fence about this book go ahead and pick it up. It is a stand alone and not too long. trust me, it will be worth your time. 
Let me know if you pick this book up, and if you have already read it let me know what you thought. 
Happy Reading Y'all ,
Ashley 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: To All The Boys I Loved Before (Reread)

To All The Boys I've Loved Before  Series: To All The Boys I've Loved Before #1  Author: Jenny Han Published: April 15th, 2014 by Simon & Schuster  Pages: 355 My Rating:  ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ But now that I think about it, that seems to be all I’ve ever wanted. To be somebody’s and for them to be mine.   Even if she doesn't know the last one, Lara Jean is a hopeless romantic, shy, quirky, and strong-willed. When Lara Jean loves someone, she doesn’t tell them but writes them a love letter. It’s easier to play it safe, to let her feelings pour out onto paper. She holds nothing back; why should she? No one will ever see the letters. She stows them away in the safety of her beloved hatbox.     Lara Jean has written five love letters in her life. The letters range from the boy who stole her first kiss to her sister’s ex-boyfriend.   Lara Jean’s love letters are missing. They are no longer in the safety of her hatbox; they’ve been sent out.   Now Lara Jean is forced to face her bigges

Back to School: Percy Jackson Style

As any fangirl or fanboy wherever you go you want to show your love of books. Being lovers of books we are a unique kind. We crush over fictional characters, they become our best friends, when they hurt we hurt. Books are our escape, our passion, our fun, hobby, friend, books are our lives. Pride comes with being a book nerd and it's something you should embrace. These books we love sometimes take over. We love them so much we want to be a part of that world. I wanted to help find ways for you to always feel close to your favorite books and characters. This week I wanted to do Percy Jackson because I mean who doesn't like Percy Jackson?! These outfits are loosely inspired by some of the loved characters from The Percy Jackson series or the book covers. I stayed on pinterest for hours (shocker right?) to find outfits that have simple pieces that you can find in your closet or wouldn't be hard to find for a good price at stores. I also wanted to find outfits that could easil

Of Poseidon

  "Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen-literally, ouch!-both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance." I really enjoyed Of Poseidon  so much in fact that I have read it twice. Of Poseidon is the first book in the Syrena series, and this book is full of humor I was laughing from the very first page. The best part of this book was how much I laughed like a crazy person. Emma and Galen keep having strange encounters, and while Galen has an explanation for them, Emma just thinks he's a creepy stalker who wants to sue her for run